Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Illustration Friday- Frozen


When I was little, my parents, my brother and I would go backpacking in Colorado every year for two weeks. We camped all over north central Colorado and some of Wyoming. One year we traveled over Trail Ridge Road and saw a bighorn sheep standing on the side of the road in the freezing cold. Dad's first response to the sight was "It's frozen, it's dead!"

I have no idea what he was thinking. Obviously the ranger didn't take an animal that was frozen in the snow and put it out on the side of the road for all to see. We made fun of him the entire 13 hour drive home that year. Although I know this isn't a bighorn sheep, it still reminds me of that story. I bet if it was a deer standing on the side of the road, Dad wouldn't have been surprised. It was still funny though.

5 comments:

  1. Fun story, lovely image. You've done this justice. Would make a great seasonal card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I might have to consider that for this year's Christmas card! Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We go backpacking for two weeks every year. We were married in the Flat Tops Wilderness. That really would make a great card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Flat Tops Wilderness! Beautiful place! I would love a trip back there. Where did you backpack?

    ReplyDelete